Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Whoa, Nelly!

Okay, first I want to say thanks to all the folks who somehow found this blog after it had been up for seven hours. Way bizarre.

Second: No, do not send me copies of your POD book for review. Let's be honest - I have no place to put them. I'd need to get a self-storage locker if I accepted unsolicited books (sound familiar?) I will, however, gladly accept an email with a description of your book so that I can research whether or not to read the thing. (girlondemand@yahoo.com)

Third: Surprisingly, I was asked by three people already (in less than 24 hours) what the best (or, as one fella put it, "most prestigious") POD company is. The answer? Who knows. It seems there are many dozen, and from what I understand they all use the same printer (Lightning Source.) I will say this though: My writer friends and I have read, believe it or not, over 1000 POD books. I'm not saying we read all of those 1000 books in their entirety, but we have had that many in our grubby little hands. Some we purchased (both new and used), some were given to us, some we found and others landed in our possession without recollection as to how. That said, it seems to me that the best writing has typically come from folks with iUniverse and the worst--hands down--has come from PublishAmerica. Make of that what you will, but for the most part the quality is completely random.


Would I recommend one? Sure, as soon as I get a paid endorsement. In the meantime, do your homework and balance reliability with affordability. And make sure you can control some piece of the price. Nothing like a $35 paperback, you know?

Fourth: Yes, I have an editor (an excellent one) and yes, I have an agent (an excellent one) and no, I will not be recommending your stunning book to either of them, unless, for some reason, it is the most drop-dead gorgeous, tear-generating, laughter-inducing, I-can't-catch-my-breath prose I've ever let pass through my eyes and into my brain.

Then, and only then.


Besides--who am I? I ain't no Steve King. I be no Johnny Grisham. I might have some influence. Some.

Thanks for all the contact, and stay tuned for book number one. It'll be here before you know it.