Monday, November 21, 2005

ALL ABOUT MOTHERHOOD by Kathryn E. Livingston (iUniverse)

Recently, an author sent me an email wondering why I focused on two "Dad-based" books (DADA by Michael R. Crider and NIPPLE CONFUSION, UNCOORDIANTED POOPING AND SPITTLE by Roger Friedman) and ignored the "Mom-based" books.

"What mom-based books?" I asked.

"Mine," she said.

So I read it. And it sucked.

However--there was this tingling sensation in the back of my head (different from the one I get having read over-adjectivated [sure, why not] thrillers) recalling a book I'd finished a few months ago and put aside for review. I took this as a nudge to get the review out earlier than anticipated, and here it is:

ALL ABOUT MOTHERHOOD: "A MOM FOR ALL SEASONS" AND OTHER ESSAYS by Kathryn E. Livingston is a sweet, memorable collection of vignettes of what it is like to be a mom--or rather, having turned into a mom. These essays touch on the essence of motherhood, on the metamorphosis of becoming a different kind of woman, on the everlasting change and the welcome embrace of having children.

The stories are not sappy or preachy. They are just carefully crafted stories of experience. And they are all delightful. Even Publisher's Weekly agrees (and I cannot, for the life of me, imagine how she got PW to review her book--so please do not ask me.)

Whether you are a mom yourself (or buying a gift for one) or just want to get a better glimpse of what you put your own mother through, grab this little book. It is the perfect accompaniment to turkey, wine, a roaring fire and holiday decorations.