Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The End is Near! (sort of)

It's hard to believe (hardest for me) that I've been doing this blog thing for nearly eight months. And if you look to the left, you'll see we have 40 of our 50 books for the debut year of POD-dy Mouth. That means there are only ten slots left for 2005 (actually, only eight slots; two have already been pre-filled.)

And wouldn't you know . . . I've got 117 books I haven't even started reading yet. (With more coming in as I type.)

This has been an interesting year and I've been able to profile some great books that were unearthed from the pile, along with some books that were submitted to me that I would never have found on my own. It was worth reading (all or parts of) over 1,000 books to find the excellent 40 listed on the right. And the success of the blog has been surprising as well, now with nearly 90,000 hits per month, I could seriously cash in on some advertising.

But fear not. I never will. This is an exercise in free speech (or whatever) as well as madness (or whatever.)

When all is said and done this year, I will give you all of the crazy stats. (Like how many books I read total, how many books I read where I didn't make it past two pages, that sort of thing . . . ) And then, of course, the Needle Awards (assuming things like my day job, my writing, my family and holiday shopping don't push it into 2008.)

Stay tuned, because the rubber will indeed be meeting the road in the near future. It's gonna be a fun ride!