Tuesday, August 01, 2006

MISS ALICE MERRIWETHER'S LONG LOST CAKES & FURTHER ARCANE INDUCEMENTS TO WONDER by Barry Aitchison (Velluminous)

Oh, yeah. If the title hasn't already got you by the hair, then check out this opening:

One Sunday evening, the town of Parcival, USA disappeared. It was Tuesday morning before anyone in the outside world noticed it was gone.

The book's style, from the get-go, is not something that would normally stick with me--a sort of itemized introduction of the various characters--but it did. And what characters they are! The book is literary, yet it's also a bit of a western, some science fiction, and a whole lot of whimsy. I mean, we're talking characters whose names are Alexander Pumpernickel and Quentin C. Coriander! This book is superb satire, the kind of story and writing I have not seen since I last read Orwell's ANIMAL FARM or THE GREAT DIVORCE by C.S. Lewis.

Yeah, now you get where I'm coming from.

And now you see why it is difficult to describe the story in detail without giving away the store.

The book is full of suspense (how exactly does a town manage to disappear and return--and why?) and twists at the very end for a clever, highly-imaginative closing--just the kind that makes you think, "Hmm, maybe I should start over and read it again."

If it's so great, why isn't it published by Viking or Grove/Atlantic? Because even Orwell and Lewis couldn't get stuff like this published today. (Velluminous, from what I can tell, is a commercial publisher using the POD model.) But I am thankful Mr. Aitchison found a way to get this story into print no matter what. Oh, what I (and you) would have been missing.

Grab a copy of this fantastic novel today. Amazon has it for $10.49; it's worth all 1,049 pennies.