Friday, June 17, 2005

15 minutes and seven seconds of fame

How excited was I to look up my novel on Amazon and see the rank had skyrocketed to 453! That's right three digits. This doesn't mean jack as far as book sales (probably got four sales in one hour, let's say) but who cares--it's three digits, man!

I promptly called my folks and said, "Quick, check out Amazon! Look at my rank on Amazon!"

*pause while father moves to computer and types*

"Wow, honey," he replied, all father-like, "just over nine-thousand."

"What?" I refreshed my browser and sure enough: 9,021. Now panicked--and without proof--I hit the back button, a well-known pointless attempt at trying to grab data that is forever lost. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

For just a moment I was 453.

I swear.
__________________

One of my writer friends sent me this list, sort of all McSweeney's-ish and whatnot. He has been published by Simon & Schuster and St. Martin's--and was an avid POD hater, worse than many of the commenters on this blog. Then (after losing a bet--long story) he agreed to spend the afternoon with me and cull through some PODs. He tossed book after book over his shoulder (one clipped me in the ear, the bastard) for most of the day. Suddenly, he became silent. I didn't hear another word from him for almost an hour. Then he closed the book and slid it across the floor to me and said, "You need to read this one."

It was
RATED F.

He spent the remainder of his time with me tossing books over his shoulder.

Mr. Noker's novel aside, my friend remains unconverted. And here is the cute little entry for you all to enjoy. Happy Friday.

URLs surprisingly not taken by self-publishing companies:
www.heypoddoesnotsuckokay.com
www.werenotpublishamerica.com
www.slushinprint.com
www.sellyourbookstoyourfriendsandfamilyfortopdollar.net
www.podbooksforunderthirtyfivedollars.org
www.everyonepaystobepublishedwhyshouldntyou.com
www.paytopublishorperish.com
www.forgetplasmatelevsionsandpublishabook.com
www.pureanduttergarbage.com

Stay tuned for more treasure.

Treasure, by the way, that should have this URL:
http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=x....