Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The POD-dy Five

Introducing the POD-dy Five: that is, the day's top selling POD books (that I have recommended) based on Amazon's Sales Rankings, however algorithmically-challenged they may be. I am just about half-way through the year regarding book reviews (still looking at 50 total) and that means I am halfway to picking the Needle Award nominees.

Here is the POD-dy Five list for July 26th, 2005:

(1) SUFFER IN SILENCE: 8,747
(2) INFERTILITY SUCKS: 46,025
(3) COOKIN' FOR LOVE: 51,838
(4) LOVE IN THE TIME OF THE APOCALYPSE: 179,868
(5) RATED F: 216,829

I've had a few folks already pushing for certain titles to be nominated for the highly prestigious (and highly forgettable) Needle Awards. And they're not even the authors. Just fans (I guess.)

What's the big deal about getting Needled? Well, there isn't any. No money, no handsome statue, no after-awards party where you can get wasted and experience genuine, life-changing embarrassment and regret.

The author does get this: a big plug with (so far) six agents and five editors. I am going to put together a handsome little promo that will showcase the winners (mostly the grand prize winner). And why? God, if I know. Like I have nothing else to do. But here I am, promising.

The funny part is this: three books I would have considered as Needle nominees are already in the hands of agents and editors and may very well be disqualified anyway. How complicated.

Anyway, there will certainly be more to come on this. And--agents and editors--if you want to be added to the list of who receives the award info, send me an email (all you'll get is a .PDF; I am not an agent, nor will I ever be one. I'm just a girl who likes some books no one would take a chance on.)